Jane Thompson Russell
The center is named for Jane Thompson Russell, a beloved philanthropist, community activist and the late wife of business leader George Russell. Mrs. Russell, who chaired the St. Joseph
Medical Center board of trustees, died in May 2002. The George F. Russell Jr. Fund at The Russell Family Foundation donated $1.5 million to help create this center of hope and healing at St. Anthony Hospital.
George and Jane Russell bought the small brokerage and mutual fund business from George's grandfather in 1958 and developed it into one of the world's leading investment management and advisory firms, Frank Russell Co. in Tacoma. George pioneered the business of pension fund consulting and Jane was the company's architect of corporate culture. Together they earned Frank Russell Co. national recognition as an outstanding workplace.
In 1999, George and Jane Russell sold Frank Russell Co. to Northwestern Mutual Life. The company was renamed the Russell Investment Group. Jane and George Russell created The Russell Family Foundation with part of the sale proceeds, providing a way for their extended family to make a quiet, positive impact in the community. The Russell Family Foundation is based in Gig Harbor.